Wednesday 2 May 2012

Adam's Dream

Over the years there has been much debate in the medical profession about what happens to the brain during a coma. Does it close down, or is it still active, but in a different form from its waking self? Due to modern technology and a pilot programme at Borchester DGH, we have been able to map the activity in Adam Macey's brain during his coma. He has viewed the results, and relates the story of his dream here in his own words:

"At first, everything seemed normal. There is nothing unusual about watching two men in a white van, even though on this occasion they weren't doing anything to each other. There wasn't anything that uncommon about the feeling of being bashed on the head either - it's a sensation I have often felt after a "discussion" with Brian.

"What was unusual, however, was feeling a regular thud on my chest and a voice (which I'm convinced was cousin David) breathlessly and timelessly singing "Stayin' alive, stayin' alive" over and over. I soon put this into context when I saw the blue flashing lights and realised we were in a disco. But I MUST talk to David about how he ended up in the sort of disco I frequent. Can't say I'm surprised. Nor am I that disappointed!

"Anyway, things then get a bit hazy. Next thing I recall is being in an armchair on a stage, with a large audience in front of me. I couldn't quite place the man with the microphone but when he started to speak I realised it was Jeremy Kyle. He was introducing the programme with the line : 'My partner is turning into his step-father' at which point Ian, with very tearful eyes, came on stage. There was a lot of argument and Ian kept saying 'Just take a look at yourself'. Jennifer was obviously finding this very upsetting as all I could hear from the wings was her shouting "Dahling! Dahling'. Eventually a long mirror was brought on and I saw that I was wearing tasselled loafers, green cords, a Paisley cravat, a check jacket and a flat cap. I took off the cap in horror at which point Ian started smoothing my hair and the next thing I knew....I was conscious again!"

Such recall is very important to a patient's recovery and it must be hoped that further memories will surface. Anyone who has heard Adam speaking in his sleep should please make notes below or address them directly to @TonysConsultant.

No comments:

Post a Comment